Welcome to the new Rowlands Castle web design website. Here at Bobbing Wide we have decided that we should no longer be Rowland’s Castle’s best kept secret. So we have created a couple of new websites specifically for people looking for web design and web development.
This site, and the sister site ( www.rowlandscastlewebdesign.co.uk, which has not yet appeared on the radar ) will feature images and news from the local area ( Rowlands Castle, Havant, Horndean, Blendworth) in order to demonstrate some of the functionality that you could get from a [WOW] ( [WoW] ) website from Bobbing Wide.
For more information visit Bobbing Wide
Some strange things happened recently. I’d been taking a backup of my desktop’s hard disk drives using my Seagate external drive because I thought I might need to attempt to recover a file from an earlier backup and safe is better than sorry.
- Tried system restore. Nothing.
- Tried an earlier date. Nothing
- So I had to make it work the hard way… I copied all required files from the Freecom drive to the desktop’s internal disks using FTP from my laptop.
- Reconfigured the internal drive’s letter to become what was the external drive’s letter
- Rebooted and got my local webserver working again
- So I was partially happy but the USB devices still didn’t work.
- Reinstalled HP drivers. Nothing.
- Fiddled about with the registry. Nothing.
- Hunted on the internet.
- Lo and behold I found a story from someone who had something similar. His solution.
TURN THE MACHINE OFF AND UNPLUG IT.
- Start Up –let it do it’s own starting up
- Create a set of recovery DVDs of whole installation of machine
- Windows Easy Transfer Programme to transfer all data from old machine to new
- Windows 7 Back up onto appropriate device eg Seagate External disc drive
- Work from a list of software you may want to install eg KeePass [more later]
- Sort Anti-virus and Firewall software solution
- We uninstalled the free trial of Macafee, and downloaded AVG for free
- Run full virus scan – we has 25 warnings within our first minute when installing AVG.
- Windows Easy transfer Prog. report and get report of files and you’ll notice that some files have changed location from 1 folder to another, be aware this will happen – look out for it!
- Go and check that all files you hope have been transferred, have actually been transferred.
- Look at Windows Easy Transfer list and decide which programme you then need to install eg KeePass – superb safe way to have a secure check list of ALL your passwords for anything you need!
- Then decide if you want to pay money for OFFICE or switch to Open Office [ I was told to by Herb, so far so good- more notes later- if it causes me grief I will let you know , I’m afraid I was a miscrosoft word girl, and slow to give it up!
- Update your favourites folder
- Which browsers do you want to install?- we use Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8, Opera and Safari. Again I was an Internet Explorer fan but have become quite attached to Google Chrome- quite amazingly Herb finally informed me that in Google Chrome- the www. bar – if you type what you think you’re looking for, it acts as a google search for you, without laboriously going out and in to Google itself. This will be relevant to lesser mortals,for those who know that- great!
- Set up printers
- If you choose to do it yourself, [maybe a skilled friend could sit by you] you will learn so much more!
I recently purchased a new Acer laptop to replace my aging (nearly broken) Dell tower system.
- Backup original machine
- On new machine – start up and create the 4 backp DVDs
This must be a hangover from the troubles I had trying to follow instructions to make use of a custom domain name for this google blogger blog. The graphic that’s missing is the one that appears in the comments block after each post. Course you can’t tell it’s broken in Firefox and I haven’t checked IE, Opera or Safari lately.