Setting up a New laptop [and how to survive it]
- Start Up –let it do it’s own starting up
- Create a set of recovery DVDs of whole installation of machine
- Windows Easy Transfer Programme to transfer all data from old machine to new
- Windows 7 Back up onto appropriate device eg Seagate External disc drive
- Work from a list of software you may want to install eg KeePass [more later]
- Sort Anti-virus and Firewall software solution
- We uninstalled the free trial of Macafee, and downloaded AVG for free
- Run full virus scan – we has 25 warnings within our first minute when installing AVG.
- Windows Easy transfer Prog. report and get report of files and you’ll notice that some files have changed location from 1 folder to another, be aware this will happen – look out for it!
- Go and check that all files you hope have been transferred, have actually been transferred.
- Look at Windows Easy Transfer list and decide which programme you then need to install eg KeePass – superb safe way to have a secure check list of ALL your passwords for anything you need!
- Then decide if you want to pay money for OFFICE or switch to Open Office [ I was told to by Herb, so far so good- more notes later- if it causes me grief I will let you know , I’m afraid I was a miscrosoft word girl, and slow to give it up!
- Update your favourites folder
- Which browsers do you want to install?- we use Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8, Opera and Safari. Again I was an Internet Explorer fan but have become quite attached to Google Chrome- quite amazingly Herb finally informed me that in Google Chrome- the www. bar – if you type what you think you’re looking for, it acts as a google search for you, without laboriously going out and in to Google itself. This will be relevant to lesser mortals,for those who know that- great!
- Set up printers
- If you choose to do it yourself, [maybe a skilled friend could sit by you] you will learn so much more!
One Response to Setting up a New laptop [and how to survive it]
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.